Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Corner Cats

We are sorry we haven't been around to sign any blogs in the last few days. First of all, Momma got the tribute to Trixie done and then she had some other big news....here it is in her words.

Hi everyone.......

Someone dropped off a momma cat and her two kittens a mile from our house, around a sharp corner, in the woods. I have seen the kittens for several days, alongside the shoulder of the road, but they always ran from me. The other day I brought down a large can of stinky goodness and two paper plates (thinking there was only two.) While I was dishing up the food (no cats in sight) I heard a rustling, and out of the brush came this tiny, skinny, emancipated tabby. At first I thought it was another kitten, but then realized it was Momma cat. She was very friendly and then her babies got closer, too. I even petted her. All I felt was bones!

I went back yesterday with 3 cans of stinky goodness. Momma was the only one to show up, and she ate all three cans. I was really worried, because the kittens were always with her. I went back home, got my carrier, and she came right up to me, still no kittens. I picked her up and put her in the carrier. I felt terrible, where were the kittens? Coyotes are so hard on them here. I kept going back and finally last night, I saw the little tuxedo kitten, (the other one looks a lot like her) but now, he was to afraid to come anywhere near me.






I took her in yesterday to the vet to have her spayed, shots, wormed, etc. The kittens are weaned, thank goodness, and I put out food and water for them. When I pick Momma up today, I will put her in the upstairs bathroom and shut the door. I don't know where I will go from there. I need to do something about the kittens, but they are so wild now, especially without Momma. This has been so trying on me emotionally, especially with my eye surgery coming up soon.

Momma cat is very shy, sensitive and sweet. She lets me pick her up and put her in a carrier, no fuss, no biting, scratching, growling, hissing. She rode to the vet without a word. When the nurse took her, she said, "come on, precious." I think I will call her Precious Momma. Keep us in your thoughts!

Oh, one more thing, if you have trapped kittens that are semi wild, please share your story with me, every little tidbit helps. Thanks

***UPDATE: The vet's office just called and said "What a wonderful little kitty you have.!" She rolled over and wanted tummy skritches. They are doing blood work right now, will get her spayed sometime this morning, but she has to stay overnight. She is also being treated for everything possible. More update as they come in....

***FINAL UPDATE: Precious came through the operation fine. I will pick her up tomorrow morning!

CalicoMom Toni

21 comments:

The Meezers or Billy said...

Precious Momma is a wonderful name for her! I hope that she adjusts well. I hope that the kittens can be found.

Rascal said...

Even though I complain a lot about our newcomer, I don't like to think of anykitty being homeless and without friends. CalicoMom Toni, you are a very purry good person to care about Precious Momma and her babies. We will pray the kittens are found too.

LZ said...

CalicoMom Toni, I luff you! You are such a nice lady to take care of Precious Momma and her babies. Momma sounds like such a nice kitty. I'm sure the babies will come out if you keep giving them stinky goodness, it just may take a while.

Myst and Blackie said...

Calicomom Toni - we think you wonderful to care about the babies... Mom has some experience with the semi-feral, food and patience is what worked everytime for her.

Gemini said...

Momma said that sometimes feral cat rescue places have feral cat traps. They are humane traps designed to get the cat into a carrier so they can be spayer or neutered. If you get the kittens young enough they will eventually become pretty friendly--especially if Momma is. Also feeding them will help. Good luck.

Does this mean Mistrie Rose will have friends?

Hello Mittens--we hopes you are doing well.

Meowers from Missouri said...

calicomom, you are super. if we didn't have our mom for a mom, we'd want YOU! thank you for taking precious momma in, and for trying to help the kitties. we will purray that you can catch 'em all and get them furrever homes.

an' thank you for the lovely memorial service last night. we could only stay a few minutes, 'cause mom didn't feel good, and we hadda go sit on her and warm her up. we know trixie was pleased by the turnout, and sammy and miles and the beans must be very happy to know that trixie meant so much to so many. you are so very kind.

headbumps and sleekies,

nels, ed, nitro, & xing

Anonymous said...

Auntie Toni, yu are a furry speshil purrson to be lookin' after Ms Precious and takin' so gud care ov her. I hope thuh kittens will come to know that yu luv them too and only want to help them. I'm sendin' one of my nosenuzzles to yu.

Anonymous said...

Bless you for taking care of Precious! I hope you can catch the kittens. Grr, Midnight and Cocoa were a litter of 3 feral, weaned kittens (about 2 months old) when we caught them. A neighbor had been catching all the feral adults and having them fixed, as well as catching the kittens when she could. I saw Cocoa's little face under a junk car, so we came back with a trap and left it with Stinky Goodness inside. It didn't take long for Cocoa to walk right in for some food. Midnight followed close behind him. They were both scared, but not really in a panic. They adjusted well once we got them home, fed them, cuddled them, etc. My kids had seen Grr, so we took the trap back because we didn't want her to be left all alone. It took two extra days to get her, but she finally walked into the trap. She was NOT happy and growled at us for days. She even growled at her brother and sister when they were reunited at home. I had them confined to the front bathroom and the long hallway for a while. I used to take a pillow at night and sleep in the hall so that they could climb on me, snuggle, or just get used to me. They came around just fine.
Karen
servant to Grr, Midnight & Cocoa
(lovely service last night! purrs!!)

momsbusy said...

the service last night for trixie was beautiful. i am sure she was smiling down on all of us as we celebrated her life and comforted her family.

i purchased a small trap from our local hardware/sporting goods store that i use to trap kittens and cats. it is a "hav-a-hart" trap. i have heard some places (shelters?) have them for rent. it does take lots of patience and stinky goodness to catch the ones that do not trust humans. be persistant and check often. leave food at a regularly scheduled time. they will eventually get caught. good luck and bless you!

Madness, Trouble, Squish and Milkbone said...

I agree what have been said above. Start feeding them on a scedule, and get one of those traps, and you'll catch them sson. Just one thing, if you use a trap, make sure to check often the trap, you don't want them to sit in the trap for too long.
Good luck.

a fluffy feline friend said...

You are so wonderful CalicoMom to care so much about these poodins. If there were more people like you around, the world would be a better place ('specially the poodin world!) :)

The Tower Hill Mob said...

Calico Mom you are such a good Mom to ALL kitties- not just calicoes!
Our Mum said a prayer for your eyes at St. Anthony's festival last week. keep us updated on the family!

Shaggy and Scout said...

Dang Blogger......I kept trying to comment earlier. It sure has been a _itch this week!
ANYWAY: Momma Cat sounds like she was once someones cat because she knows what love is. No pressure, but why don't you keep them, aw, come on!

Just Ducky said...

I hope that when Precious comes home your mum can take her out to the area. Maybe the little kitties will come out if the momma kat is around.

Good luck.

Ivan from WMD said...

CalicoMom, that's kinda like how it happened to me! If I hadn't met my mom, I would've wanted to meet you, because I know you would've taken good care of me and my cat mom.

(William's mom here--I hope you find those babies. William was a real holdout when my neighbor and I rescued his little family and it took days to nab him. You're a jewel!)

Anonymous said...

Hi CalicoMom,
There is a feral cat group on Yahoo that is operated by people who've had lots of experience with wild kitties. You can read their info or join up and ask questions. They're very nice. The URL is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feral_cats/

Hope this helps.

MK's TLO

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Yes, you are even more than Calico Mom than before because you have Mistrie and now anofur Tabby. You have such a big heart to take care of Precious and her babes. You are a "Gutabelas" (Cat woman) like Luna's Mom.

Quinn and Angel brandi said...

These cats are yours. You do know that, don't you? Even if it is for a little while as a foster mommy and assistants.

Bless you, and good luck catching the babies!

cat_aunty said...

Dear Calicomum, you are an angel for saving PreciousMum and her kittens!! Take care!

Lone Star Purrs said...

Our Momma is doing the same fing wif a kitty in our neih-bor-hood. Emmy has a family...but they're not furry good. So it sounds like Emmy might be moving in wif us. Good luck and God Bless.
::purrs and headrubs::
~Meeko, Kiara, and Momma Becca

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Calicomom you are reely reely kind to poodins. Precious is furry lucky that yoo found her. We fink that the stinky goodness will work wiv the baby kitties too. Our mum has caught semi ferals before an she said it can take a few days and a lot of patience, but they always come round in the end.